If you read my last post, you already know that I've put myself on a fabric buying freeze. I've decided I have way too much fabric and I need to use some of it up before I'm allowed to buy anything new.
I had the itch to sew something for myself and grabbed this green sweatshirt fleece off my shelf. I have a few yards of this and it's the same fabric I used to make a cardigan for my son over 2 years ago!!
Right now I pretty much live in leggings, boots, and long sweaters or tunics. This particular sweatshirt fleece has a super soft underside and much more stretch than is typical. I contemplated making a Lola Tunic. I have the pattern cut and ready to go, but it just isn't quite what I want. It looks a little oversized in it's fit. Which brings me to my "creative process". I have trouble following patterns because I find myself wanting to go in my own direction. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.
I searched around and found this picture for my inspiration. I think the result is not too far off, though I'm not sure my fabric drapes quite the same. Here's what I did.
I wanted the top to be fitted but also a little slouchy. I grabbed a dolman style sweater and traced it for the top and sleeves.
For the skirt, I used my Dress Pockets Tutorial and Pattern.
Because this fabric is kind of thick, I cut one of the pockets out of a lightweight knit to make it less bulky.
I also didn't want to topstitch the pocket opening, so instead I understitched it. If it's not a technique you're familiar with, there's a great tutorial and explanation here at Sewaholic. The purpose is to keep a lining from peeking out without having to topstich. Essentially you sew the seam allowance to the lining or in this case the pocket. I'm not sure why it works, but it definitely holds the lining in.
Once I put the bodice and skirt together, I had to do A LOT of tweeking. By the end of the night I was pretty sure my "creative process" had failed me. I ended up having to add darts to the front and back and also took the sides in so much that the pockets openings are pretty tiny. Good thing I have small hands, because they still fit in.
I topstitched a little triangle a the neck on the front, tried the dress on, and was pleasantly surprised.
It's far from perfect. The white thread from my serger (I always only use white because I hate changing the thread) peeks through in spots and some of the seams are a little wonky, but it's amazingly comfortable.
And I kind of love this side view.
I'm happy that so far I've managed to not buy new fabric and now have a new dress! Win, win.