Just when it seemed like Spring was in the air, we got a few inches of snow and the temperatures for the coming week are going to be way below normal, again. So though I was thinking of Spring when I started working on this dress, it will definitely be sitting in the closet for a while.
Ultimately, I'm happy with my final dress, but I don't love this pattern. My usual problem with sewing with wovens and commercial patterns is that the sizing is tough. Knits are so much more forgiving and jive better with my type B sewist personality.
In an attempt to follow the rules, I took my measurements and cut a size 12. Now I'll tell you that when I buy clothes in the store, I'm usually just about the smallest size you can get. So, cutting a 12 seemed odd, but that's what my measurements dictated. Well, my first dress came out gigantic! It felt like a lab coat, which is kind of fun since I work in a lab. Maybe I'll add the buttons and feel extra fancy at work.
This dress was my inspiration and I was pretty bummed that my first dress didn't work out. And, the fabric wasn't cheap. I might have to try to re-cut it and....make it work!
I went back to my pattern and this time cut a size 6. This is definitely the size I need, though I'll tell you there's no way my waist is 23 inches!
Though the size 6 did end up being the right size, I still had to make some adjustments. The armholes and the neck were so teeny tiny and I ended up making them bigger. In retrospect, I should have also used a bigger sleeve, so the dress is a tiny bit tight in the armpit region.
The other changes I made were to eliminate the lower pockets, make flap pockets for the top (used THIS tutorial), and I added a little button tab to the sleeves.
So, to summarize:
PATTERN: Simplicity 2246
FABRIC: lightweight cotton chambray
RESULT: I'm happy with the dress,
but probably won't make it again.