2.20.2011

Scalloped Edge Baby Blanket

My dear friend Roselee, aka Jane of All Trades, made me this baby blanket almost 3 years ago (yikes!) when I was pregnant with my son. This was one of those gifts that for whatever reason, aside from it being so beautiful and amazing, I absolutely treasure. I think in part, it's because at the time I was finding it so difficult to find cute stuff for my soon to be arriving boy.

It's hard for me to believe this was that little baby boy..

Since I have a special attachment to this blanket, I decided to make one for a good friend who is expecting a little boy soon. The original pattern is from Amy Karol's, Bend the Rules Sewing, which is a great book I would highly recommend. I lent my copy to my sister, so I decided to wing it.

I cut my fabric (for front and back) and batting to be 34" by 34". Then layered the fabric with right sides together on top of the batting, and pinned.

I actually wanted to try to make the scallops a little bigger, so I used a cereal bowl, to draw the edge. If you try this, don't make the mistake I made (and often make). I used a permanent marker. There were a few spots where I went too far with the scallop and as a result, you can see the marker when the blanket is turned.

Here's what makes this project so easy, you just sew on your lines (make sure to leave and opening for turning) and cut later! I love that! I used pinking shears to cut away the extra fabric and then went back and notched the indents. Even still, it puckered a little when I turned it.

Turned, top-stitched and quilted.



I hope she treasures it as much I treasure mine....no pressure :)

24 comments:

  1. Oh I ♥ it! Now I am going to have to make one...wish my son had one. Hmmm never too late no matter how old they are right??
    Thanks for sharing;}

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your work. This is really adorable

    ReplyDelete
  3. so pretty! and looks so much harder than it actually is! love your blog, found you thru Celebrate the Boy... thanks for all the great tutorials and your kids are adorable!!1

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! You just reminded me! I made one of those two years ago and boxed it away for our "someday baby". Now that that baby is here I need to go find it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love this. I'm adding it to my roundup! (along with all the other cool stuff you make :)) Thanks for adding so many cool things to the boy flickr group!
    - dana

    ReplyDelete
  6. featured this on my blog today!

    www.kimboscrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! It would make a wonderful baby gift... saving this link in the favorites file!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is beautiful!!!!! Thank you for telling us how you made it!! I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So adorable! Could you give any info on the fabric? Love the jungle animals!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all the great comments! Kristal, both fabrics are from Joanns. I'm not sure what the jungle print is called, but it was in the nursery section.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I seriously adore this quilt! I'm so doing this for my next baby! I love it when you see things that break the mold when it comes to baby stuff! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, I'll go check Joann! My sister is doing a jungle animal theme and I'd love to make her something. It would be so cute with the crocheted lion pillow from Anna Marie Horner's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the scallops and that fabric is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the scallops and the fabric. I'm sure she (and her baby) will love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We are a group of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community. Your blog provided us valuable information to work on. You have done a marvelous job!
    Blankets For Baby

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just attempted your scalloped blanket tutorial! It didn't turn out quite as cute as yours...but I still love it! I think this will be my "go-to" pattern for baby shower gifts. THANK YOU!
    Staci

    I posted it on my blog today...
    http://craftifyit.blogspot.com/2011/06/blue-brownand-red-nursery.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm dying over this fabric. Do you know the designer? The colors are perfect for baby boy#2 coming in Nov. thanks for the tutorial! I can't wait to make one!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What type of batting do you use for blankets like these? I love the thinness but find the batting I can buy online is too thick. Love the pattern, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah. I typically use Warm and Natural cotton batting which I buy at Joanns, but you can find at many stores and online. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  19. Just finished making one of these for my cousin's baby. I am a novice at sewing and I could do this easily! I'm sure she will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this blanket! I want to make this for a coming up baby gift. Can you please tell me how you quilted it? Thanks a ton

    ReplyDelete