1.14.2011

Travel Packs


We are leaving for a week long vacation this weekend and I decided the kids need a good travel pack. I bought this amazing pattern at Made by Rae and I'm hooked!

The pattern is great and these bags came out amazing. As usual I made a few tiny modifications. I did the polka dot bag first and didn't use any kind of interfacing, just did it according to the instructions. For my son's I decided to fuse a mid-weight interfacing to all the pieces except the bottom piece and really loved the result. So I went back and fused interfacing to my daughter's already sewn together pack. It helped give it more structure, but I definitely prefer the result when I interfaced the pieces before sewing.

I also added a little ribbon to the zipper for a zipper pull. Definitely makes it easier for those little fingers. I already have another pack cut out as a big brother present for a friend and I might add a little tab at the end of the zipper to hold onto when opening and closing. Check back if you're curious how it comes out.

I also made some fun pack accessories.

I love the "no-cash" wallet from Amy Karol's, Bend the Rules Sewing. I did mine with velcro instead of a snap. I have a hard time sticking to a pattern....

I also made these fun toy bags, inspired by my kids constantly begging for ziploc bags to put toys in. I'm hoping to have a tutorial for these done before I leave.


Did I mention how much my kids love these backpacks? And, how I can't stop taking photos of them....





8 comments:

  1. These are just lovley! Where did you get the giraffe fabric? So nice =)
    Have a nice vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these! I am looking for a smallish pack for geocaching that doesn't cost a fortune and these would be perfect. And of course, fun to make! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving these backpacks. I think they would be pretty easy to make, even without the pattern. I made the travel bags for an upcoming trip with my kiddos. I'm sure they will be well-used, even once we get home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, LOVE these!!! Thanks for the great review, dude! You did a fantastic job. :)

    Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving your backpacks as well as your fabric choices. I have been loving the giraffe fabric for some time but haven't purchased any because I'm concerned about how it holds up when washed. Have you washed yours yet? Could you please share with me what you think of this fabric. I saw it made by premier at fabric.com. Thanks, my email address is jmichaelpike@aol.com
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you going to post a tutorial?

    Really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are great, where did you buy your fabric? I'm having trouble finding any sort of cute printed canvas. Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete