I've been hoarding onesies and fabric dye for a while now and finally got the courage to try it. I mainly followed Dana's instructions with a few modifications along the way.
I used Dylon permanent dye that I bought at Joanns. The only part of the instructions I followed was to add the salt. Here's what I did differently
- They recommend 4 cups of water, I used about 8-10
- I used more fabric than they recommend
- I left the fabric in dye overnight instead of 45 minutes
- After rinsing in cold water, I washed in the washing machine
- I dried mine in the dryer. The instructions say to dry "away from heat"
For whatever reason, I had the most trouble with the pink. By the last batch (the yellow) I felt like using enough salt and mixing a lot is key. The salt is supposed to help the fabric absorb the dye, so for the yellow I added more salt since I was using more water than recommended. I also mixed much more than I did for the previous batches and I felt like the end result was the best.
I also tried some woven fabric. I had a white fabric with white polka dots that you could hardly see. It dyed really well and I like it much better than before.
So fun, and much easier than you'd think!