Last year we got invited to an Oktoberfest party at our neighbor's house. The invitation said "lederhosen optional". Knowing my neighbor, I should have known he was joking! Everyone was dressed up, except for us. This year, I was determined to get us all dressed for the occasion.
The kids outfits were pretty easy. I made a simple elastic waist skirt for my daughter. I used this tutorial for the waist and drafter the rest of the skirt from a skirt from my daughter's closet. I added a simple rectangular apron and finally used some of the embroidery stitches on my sewing machine.
The top is another rectangle with straps and a velcro closure a the back. I used a narrow bias tape for the lacing on the front.
The boys' outfits were even easier. I bought each a pair of pants at the thrift store ($2 each!), cut them into shorts, and used the extra fabric to make the decorative pieces. For the little boy, I used black elastic for the straps.
I used felt for the embellishments and hot glued them in place.
Since I am the seamstress, I decided to use an actual pattern for my dress. I bought McCalls M6187. Be fore-warned if you are considering this pattern, the envelope is deceiving. The envelope makes it look like the pattern includes both adult and children's sizes. So the first time around, I just grabbed one, not realizing that it was only kids sizes. Had to go back and get the adult size pattern.
I made a few modifications to the pattern to make it more flattering on my small frame. I took quite a bit of fullness out of the skirt, cut the apron smaller and drafted my own, less full sleeve. The bodice is fully lined and was a bit of a challenge. Ultimately I figured it out and really like the dress.
We had a great time at the party and made a pretty cute German family.
Unfortunately, I couldn't convince the kids to use these costumes for Halloween too. And, though I planned on wearing my dress for Halloween, it most likely will be waaaay too cold. So my husband and I are planning on being popcorn and a stick of butter. Gotta get working on that....