1.16.2013

Easy Camera Strap TUTORIAL

We're going on vacation soon, and I thought it was about time I prettied up my camera strap.  I've seen a lot of different tutorials for straps, but really didn't want to make the sleeve type.  I didn't want it to slide around at all, and since I have more than 1 strap, I figured I would just go ahead and sew a cover on.  Here's what I did.

First, I measured my strap.  I wanted to cover up the little buttons on each end, so my strap measured 22 inches long by 1.5 inches wide.  Be sure to measure just the part you want to cover, not the whole strap, unless you really want to cover the whole strap.

Fabric dimensions = (strap length + 1 inch) by (strap width x 4) 

 I cut my fabric to be 23 inches long by 6 inches wide.
I learned in my first attempt that my machine was not happy trying to sew through the leather on the ends, so I decided to fold the ends to the wrong side 1/2 inch and sew in place, so the ends will already be finished.



Fold fabric in half and press.  Open it up and fold the edges to the center, so you've basically folded your fabric in quarters.
 Sandwich the camera strap inside.
 Then fold over and pin the fabric along the edge.  Sew along each long side.  Notice that the short end looks like it's already sewn down
 Pretty new camera strap!  Ready for vacation.
Did you know you can't take a photo of your camera strap unless you have another camera?  Or a mirror I guess.  I don't like taking mirror photos, I always look slightly deranged.  Thank goodness for camera phones.  

Enjoy your new strap!

2 comments:

  1. Great tutorial! I have a cover for my strap but I always see so many fun fabric I love I may just have to make more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial. Aw... my camera comes with a wrist strap and I can put it in my pocket - I think I need a bigger camera to go with that strap! Janelle

    ReplyDelete